Ronald William Carlson Attorney & Co-Founder
Principal and Co-founder
Location: Frisco, Colorado
Ronald W. Carlson is a principal and co-founder of the firm. Mr. Carlson focuses his practice on business and real estate including related specialties of corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, limited liability family partnerships, real estate development, homeowners associations, mechanics liens and construction defect litigation.
A graduate of Oakland University with Honors and Wayne State University Law School, Mr. Carlson was Law Clerk to two Justices of the Michigan Supreme Court, the late Honorable John B. Swainson and the Honorable James L. Ryan, now Senior Judge United States Circuit Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (Ret.).
Mr. Carlson served as a Senior Assistant Public Defender in Washtenaw County, Michigan including the cities of Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti. He tried dozens of felony cases including capital offense cases of murder and armed robbery. Mr. Carlson was appointed an Assistant Attorney General by Michigans longest serving Attorney General Frank J. Kelly. In his seven years in that office, Mr. Carlson served as counsel to the Michigan Insurance Commission Tom Jones, advised the offices of State Employer and Public Elections, gained extensive Federal Court experience in 42 USC 1983 cases and prosecuted civil audits of Medic aid Fraud cases.
Mr. Carlson then joined the private practice of a major Health Care Planning and Medical Malpractice firm in Detroit, Michigan Fremet, Bellary & Gilchrist and later returned to Ann Arbor as a member of a malpractice and personal injury firm, Bishop & Sheton.
In 1989, Mr. Carlson joined the Denver, Colorado medical malpractice and personal injury firm of Kripke, Epstein & Lawrence. It was his privilege to try cases under the tutelage of Norm Kripke, one of the co-founders of the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association and recognized by the Colorado Bar Association as One of Colorados Greatest lawyers, and with the late Scott Lawrence who served as a distinguished District Court Judge for Colorados 14th District of Arapahoe and Douglas Counties.
Mr. Carlson moved with his wife and firm co-founder Judith Carlson to Summit County, Colorado in 1990, initially practicing in another real estate and transactional firm and later co-founding the present firm in 1993.
Mr. Carlson has served on various Boards and community organizations. He is a former Planning Commission member and former Prosecutor for the Town of Frisco, as well as current Prosecutor for the City of Leadville. He currently serves as the part-time Frisco Municipal Court Judge. He is licensed to practice in Colorado, Arizona and Michigan.
Mr. Carlson is author of a number of publications and articles including Rule 16 and New Duties of Colorado Election Law in the Colorado Lawyer and co-author of Motions Before Trial in Michigan.
Mr. Carlson is an avid skier and snowboarder, enjoys hiking, camping, golf and fly-fishing. He currently serves on the Board of the Continental Divide Land Trust.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Limited Liability Companies
- Limited Liability Family Partnerships
- Real Estate Development
- Homeowners Associations
- Mechanics Liens
- Construction Defect Litigation
- Armed Robbery
- Health Care Planning
- Medical Malpractice
- 60% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Master Gardener
- Michigan, 1975
- Colorado, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 1990
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1980
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1979
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1990
- J.D. - 1975 - Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan
- B.A. cum laude - 1972 - Oakland University, Detroit
- Honors: With Honors
- "Election Preview: New Statutory Duties to Investigate Ineligible Voters & Fraud", August, 1998
- "Rule 16 Reality Check", Colorado Lawyer, March, 1998
- Co-Author, "Motions During Trial," Michigan Civil Procedure During Trial, ICLE, 1989
- Instructor, Regis University, 1991 - 1998
- Instructor, Colorado Mountain College, 1993
Honors and Awards
- One of Colorados Greatest Lawyers, Colorado Bar Association
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colorado Bar Association
- Continental Divide Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Arizona
Past Employment Positions
- Internal Revenue Service, Agent
- Hon. Justice John B. Swanson and Hon. Justice James L. Ryan, Michigan Supreme Court, Law Clerk, 1974 - 1976
- Washtenaw County, Michigan, Senior Assistant Public Defender
- Attorney General Frank J. Kelly, Assistant Attorney General
- Michigan Insurance Commission Tom Jones, Counsel